One college. Many paths.

At Highline College we offer over 100 professional-technical degrees and certificates to help jump-start your career in today's competitive workplace. Whether you have a job or need help finding the career that's right for you, Highline can help.

What is Prof-Tech?

Professional-Technical Education Programs help prepare you for work right after graduation in a variety of high-demand career fields.

Depending on the program, you'll earn a certificate, associate degree or bachelor's degree and be ready to enter your chosen career field. Since many of these programs are designed to help you with your career, they're not specifically designed to transfer to a four-year college. However, some transfer opportunities are available depending on the program. One of our advisers can help you decide what's right for you.

Are you working now? We offer day, evening and weekend courses, so you can find what works with your schedule.

Did You Know?

  • $500,000: How much more associate degree recipients make on average over their careers vs. people with only a high school diploma.
  • 76% of Highline students who completed a Prof-Tech program in 2011-12 were gainfully employed within 9 months.

Not Convinced?

Community college grads out-earn bachelor's degree holders (CNNMoney)

Employment surges for community college grads (USA Today)

Study highlights widening gap between college grads and those without degrees (Seattle Times)

Degrees & Certificates

Highline awards five types of Prof-Tech degrees/certificates

Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree

You will find Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees in a variety of fields. The AAS degree will prepare you for successful employment in a professional or technical area. Some AAS degrees have pathways to Bachelor of Applied Science degrees or other bachelor's degree options. The main goal of AAS degrees is to prepare graduates for careers in high-demand areas.

Associate of Applied Science (AAS–T) Degree

You will find a few professional-technical programs where you can earn an Associate of Applied Science–Transfer (AAS–T) degree. The AAS–T is built upon the technical courses required for job preparation but also includes a college-level general education component, which is common in structure for all such degrees.

Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) Degree

You can earn a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree at Highline in five programs: Cybersecurity and Forensics, Global Trade and Logistics, Respiratory Care, Youth Development and Teaching and Early Learning. These programs build on Highline's strong AAS degree programs and will put you on the path to higher wages and promotion.

Certificate of Completion (CC)

You can earn a Certificate of Completion (CC) by completing a professional-technical education program requiring a minimum of 45 credits. Each program consists of at least three quarters and has specific requirements. Students must complete at least one-half of the required credits at Highline with a 2.0 minimum overall GPA.

Short Certificates (Proficiency and Achievement)

Short Certificates range from 5 to 44 credits and are part of an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree. Some AAS degrees include several stackable Short Certificates. Short Certificates are focused on specific skills relevant to the profession.

Program Pathways

We offer a broad range of programs in high-demand career fields

Humanities & Social Science

This pathway studies the connections between people in diverse societies; how people interact and influence each other; and how the past connects to the present. This is your pathway if you want to influence your community and make the world a better place.

Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)

Do you want to make a difference in the world by investigating mysteries, inventing devices, or creating solutions? Then the STEM Pathway may be for you.

Education & Human Services

If you want to increase your opportunities and work for equity in our community, then consider a career in Education, Human Services, or Law and Justice. Discover pathways for work in early childhood or elementary education, substance use counseling, criminal justice, legal studies and more. If you have a passion for working with people, explore your career and degree options with us.

Applied Bachelor Degree
(credits vary)
AA-Transfer (90 or more credits)
AAS (90 or more credits)
Certificates of Completion
(45 or more credits)

Arts, Design & Communication

Communication that inspires, entertains and informs is a key skill that employers want in this competitive economy and increasingly diversified society. Our courses guide you to articulate your voice and worldview through cultural competency, advocacy, and critical thinking across a variety of mediums: speaking, writing, languages, music, art and design.

Certificates of Completion
(45 or more credits)
Certificates of Achievement
(Under 45 credits)

Health, Wellness & Fitness

If you would enjoy helping people achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle, you may be interested in the health and wellness field. Healthcare professionals may work in hospitals, clinics or other medical facilities. Wellness professionals may work in schools, community centers, fitness facilities, or other health/wellness settings.

Business, Hospitality & Tourism

A focus in business opens possibilities in all areas of global operations and administration, from finance and technology to sustainable management in areas such as tourism and the environment. Successful learners in this pathway gain transferable skills through coursework and experience in accounting and finance, economics, entrepreneurship, hospitality, nonprofit organizations, sales and marketing, emerging technology, social media management, sustainability, international tourism destination management and more!

Getting Started

Follow these steps to get started at Highline

1Apply to Highline: If you've never attended Highline before, apply for admissions here. If you're a returning Highline student, get started here.

2Plan Ahead for Expenses: Apply for financial aid here with college code #003781. You'll find a wealth of information at Financial Aid, including deadlines and much more. Helpful hints: Other funding sources include Workforce Education Services and WorkFirst. Be sure to check the Financial Aid Portal regularly for financial aid status and awards.

3Activate ctcLink and myHighline: Your ctcLink and myHighline accounts are your keys to Highline. You will use them to enroll in classes, receive school communication, updated your records, pay tuition and more.

4Assess Your Starting Point: Some programs require placement. Program placement can be determined using high school transcripts, GED scores, placement tests you’ve already taken or by testing. Visit the Placement Center website for more information.

5Get Oriented: If this is your first time attending college, you are required to participate in orientation. Visit Admissions for details. Interested in a campus tour? Email the Outreach Department.

6Decide on a Program of Study: What career choices are good for you? What are you interested in studying? Advisers are available on a drop-in basis or by e-advising to support you with educational planning and course selection. Bring college transcripts if you have them.


Got Questions?

Give us a call at (206) 878-3710 or email the Admissions Department.


How Much Will it Cost?

Take a look at a comparison between Highline and four-year public and private colleges.

Campus Links